Mold Has Been Proven To Increase The Risk Of Asthma In Babies

0
Posted September 10, 2013 by Guest Author
Print Friendly
3856402864_8d3482f396
It is becoming popular knowledge that mold in a house is directly linked to an increased risk of asthma developing in children and young babies. Asthma is an affliction that you should definitely protect your children from if you possibly can as it is a horrible thing to have to deal with. People with asthma struggle a lot, particularly in the summer, and they have to rely on their inhaler all the time. There are steps you can take to rid your house of mold, and therefore reduce the chances of your child developing asthma, and we’ll give you a few ideas in this article:

 

 

Clean Up Spills Quickly

It doesn’t take much for mold to set in once water is spilled. If there is a leak or a spillage in your house, then take steps to dry the area out completely. This can be tricky if it is in carpet, but a dehumidifier can help you. Make sure there are no hidden plumbing leaks by calling a plumber out to appraise the system, and ask them to lag pipes with insulation to prevent condensation from forming. You should also have a look around the outside of the property and make sure that your guttering is performing properly and no drips or puddles are occurring anywhere – these can easily seep into the foundations of the house.

 

Maintain a Constant Humidity

The humidity in your house should be no more than 60% – you can pick up a hygrometer from any local DIY shop to measure the amount of humidity in your house. To regulate the humidity in your home, make sure that windows are left open daily in order to property ventilate the property. Make sure wet surfaces (especially in the bathroom) are dried up quickly, and use extractor fans to pull excess humidity out of the air. Make sure the air circulates well in the house by leaving all the interior doors open. The more air you can get through the house, the better. Pay particular attention to any room with a boiler, furnace or washing machine in it – these will be particularly prone to humidity.

 

How to Get Rid of Mold

There may be times that mold appears, despite your best efforts to keep it at bay. In this case, you can start by treating it yourself (use a dust mask to prevent yourself from breathing in dangerous spores). Simply treat the mold with some white vinegar, leave it to dissolve the mold, and then get a scouring sponge and scrub the mold off. Leaving a little vinegar on the wall can help to prevent the mold from returning. Whatever you do, don’t ignore it or paint over it.

 

If your mold problem is bigger than you can handle, then you need to hire in a professional to remove it for you. They will take the mold out, and advise you on how to prevent it from returning. They may also recommend that you use a dehumidifier or air conditioning unit. Follow their instructions and you’ll keep the risk of your children developing asthma to a minimum.

 

This article was written by Evan Langdon; he works as a tester at MoldServices.ca, a leading mold removal contractor in Toronto. In his free time, he enjoys sharing his knowledge about health issues via his articles.