50 Weird, Wacky, And Interesting Facts About The Human Body
Our body is amazing. It has lots of mysteries and capabilities even beyond the knowledge of scientists and doctors. As a result, it shouldn’t be any surprise that even body parts and functions we deal with every day have bizarre or unexpected facts and explanations behind them. From sneezes to fingernail growth, here are 50 weird, wacky, and interesting facts about the human body.
1. The human brain cell can hold 5 times as much information as the Encyclopedia Britannica.
2. 80% of the brain is water.
3. Nerve impulses to and from the brain travel as fast as 170 miles per hour.
4. The brain operates on the same amount of power as 10-watt light bulb.
5. The lifespan of a human hair is 3 to 7 years on average.
6. Every day the average person loses 60-100 strands of hair.
7. Human hair is virtually indestructible.
8. One human hair can support 3.5 ounces.
9. The fastest growing nail is on the middle finger.
10. Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails.
11. The human body is estimated to have 60,000 miles of blood vessels.
12. The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet.
13. The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razorblades.
14. The surface area of a human lung is equal to a tennis court.
15. Coughs clock in at about 60 mph.
16. Feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat a day.
17. During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
18. On any given day, sexual intercourse takes place 120 million times on earth.
19. The largest cell in the human body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm.
20. A fetus acquires fingerprints at the age of three months.
21. If saliva cannot dissolve something, you cannot taste it.
22. The ashes of a cremated person average about 9 pounds.
23. A human head remains conscious for about 15 to 20 seconds after it is been decapitated.
24. Your eyes are always the same size from birth but your nose and ears never stop growing.
25. A baby’s head is one-quarter of its total length, but by the age 25 will only be one-eighth of its total length.
26. Humans can make do longer without food than sleep.
27. It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown.
28. The strongest muscle in the human body is the tongue.
29. You use 200 muscles to take one step.
30. Bone is stronger than some steel.
31. Three hundred million cells die in the human body every minute.
32. Every tongue print is unique.
33. Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.
34. The only part of your body that has no blood supply is the cornea in the eye. It gets its oxygen directly from air.
35. It is impossible to sneeze without blinking your eyes. The highest recorded speed of a human sneeze is 165 kilometer per hour.
36. The human body sheds about 40 pounds of skin in a lifetime.
37. We spend for sleeping more than 20 years of our life.
38. A human’s small intestine is 6 meters long.
39. By walking an extra 20 minutes every day, an average person will burn off seven pounds of body fat in a year.
40. An average human drinks about 16,000 gallons of water in a lifetime.
41. Beards are the fastest growing hairs on the human body. If the average man never trimmed his beard, it would grow to nearly 30 feet long in his lifetime.
42. We breathe about 10 million times a year.
43. There are approximately 550 hairs in the eyebrow.
44. The most sensitive finger on the human hand is the index finger.
45. A person swallows approximately 295 times while eating dinner.
46. The human heart and other body functions stop all at once, when one sneezes.
47. The stomach needs to produce a new mucus layer every 2 weeks, else it would digest itself.
48. Some of the body parts that we don’t require are – the appendix, pinkie toe, wisdom teeth and tonsils.
49. It takes the body about 12 hours to completely digest the food present in the digestive system.
50. Your thumb is the same length of your nose. At this very moment I know well you are putting this last fact to the test… …now remove your thumb from your nose and pass this on to the friends you think might be interested in comparing their thumbs to their noses as well.
- Weird Facts About Human Body: (genobio.wordpress.com)
- Human Body Detection (stackoverflow.com)
- Ericsson’s human USB cable concept could come next year (reviews.cnet.com)